Statistical physics of polymer systems:
- phase transitions
- polymeric and polyelectrolyte system
- block copolymers self-organization
- crystal structures in polymeric systems
- polymer brushes
- Author of more than 280 publications in scientific journals
- Author of monograph and editor of collections of scientific papers on the physics of polymers and biopolymers.
Monographs and collections:
- Т.М.Бирштейн, О.Б.Птицын. Конформации макромолекул. Изд. Наука, Москва,1964 г., 390 стр.
- T.M.Birshtein, O.B.Ptitsyn. Conformations of Macromolecules, in High Polymers, v.22. Interscience Wiley, New York, 1966, pp. 350.
- Birshtein ( Editor)«Molecular Order and Mobility in Polymer Systems», Macromol. Symposia, 2003, #191, pp.200, Wiley-VCH
- Birshtein (Editor)«Molecular Order and Mobility in Polymer Systems», Macromol. Symposia, 2009, #278, pp.115, Wiley-VCH
- «Molecular biophysics», Part 1 – Bachelor’s 4 course (Physics, AMF)
- «Molecular biophysics», Part 2 – Master’s program “Molecular Biophysics” (Physics), “Nanobiophysics” (AMF), “Functional Nanomaterials Physics” (Physics)
- More than 20 PhD theses
- 4 doctoral dissertations
- More than 10 master’s theses
At present research is carried out:
- Bachelor work “Theoretical study of the structure and properties of polyelectrolyte brushes of grafted stars” 4th year student Barbara Prokacheva
- Bachelor work “Theoretical study of conformational transitions in the mixed polymer brushes of star-shaped and linear macromolecules”, 4th year student Alexander Kazakov
The organizer of a regular International Symposium “Molecular Order and Mobility in Polymer Systems”, St.Petersburg.
Chairman of the Program and Organizing Committees of the 2nd, 4th, 6th and 8th Symposia (1996, 2002, 2008, 2014.),
A member of the organizing committee of the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th Symposia .
- Member of the International Jury Prize LOreal – UNESCO “For women in Science” – 2005
- Member of the International Grand Jury Prize Descartes EU – 2006, 2007
- Member of the International Grand Jury Prize EU-Marie Curie 2007
- Member of the jury of the national scholarship LOreal – UNESCO “For Women in Science” – 2007- 2014
- 1944 Medal “For the Defense of Leningrad” and later jubilee medals.
- 1984 “Veteran of Labor”.
- 1998 “Honored Scientist of Russia”
- 2000 Award IAPC
- 2007 Award LOreal – UNESCO “For Women in Science”
- 2008 Award im.V A. Kargin RAS
- 2010 Medal of the Order “For Merit to the Fatherland” 2nd degree
A dissertation councils membership:
- D 212.232.33 (SPbSU) by specialty 02.00.06 – macromolecular compounds
- D 002.229.01 (IMC RAS) by specialty 02.00.06 –macromolecular compounds
Member of editorial boards or advisory boards of international journals:
- Biophysical Chemistry (1983 – 1997),
- POLYMER SCIENCE (1988-1999),
- POLYMER SCIENCE (2011 -… ),
- Acta Polymerica (1990 – 1999),
- Macromolecular Theory and Simulations (1992 – 2002).
An academic councils membership:
- Member of the Council on Polymers of the RAS
- Member of the Scientific Council of Russian Academy of Sciences IMC
Birshtein Tatiana M.